Monday 12 November 2012

Windows 8 won't boot - SSDs Gigabyte mobos AHCI UEFI

(edit: This is becoming my most accessed page - so don't forget to complain to Gigabyte because they've obviously done something wrong - if they don't know they can't fix it)

Well I just been in a week of hell as my new computer will only boot on the 5th attempt or so. It was fine at first. I have a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H motherboard, an OCZ Vertex Plus SSD and a Segate 2T HD.

This all started after I installed the F18 version of the bios, I can't remember which version was on there originally. After that on most attempts to boot I would get 'data can not be read from disk'. Also the SSD (which contains the operating system) would disappear from the boot list in the bios. I think changing the cooler was a coincidence to throw me off the track.

The following worked for me, it may or may not do the same for you so do some research.

I did some research and it seemed I should turn on AHCI (whatever) in Peripherals in the Bios (Sata Mode selection) and that would make good. Well windows did boot and then crashed. One time then I did this and set it back to IDE Windows said I had to use a restore point to get it going.

So further reading and apparently its not straight forward enabling AHCI after you've installed windows 8. There is a link here but the info is wrong in the main article and only corrected in the comments so I thought I would put the correct solution here.

This uses Regedit and you can completely destroy your system with regedit so use with care and I take no responsibility for any damage trying to do the following might cause. Also you need to have installed the Motherboard disk controller drivers.

amended from their website
  • Exit all applications
  • Go to the start screen and type in regedit.
  • If you see the UAC (User Account Control) dialogue box, just click continue
  • Locate the the following registry subkey:
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\StartOverride
    In the right pane, you will find a key labelled O with the value '3'. Double click on this and set the value to '0'
     
  • Go up one level to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\
    there should be a key called ErrorControl which has a value '3'. set this to '0'
  • Reboot your machine and set Peripherals / Sata mode selection / to 'AHCI'. 
  • Save and exit and all should be good.
I shall be monitoring my system. Hope this post cuts down the time it takes you to solve this problem.

2 comments:

  1. this key is not there in windows 8 64 bit
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\StartOverride

    should i manualy make this key?

    i did it once but my machine woulnd boot anymore it went in repair mode of windows 8 and rebooting
    but i didn't use ErrorControl 0 then

    any help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would set it back to IDE and you should be able to restore point back. Maybe you didn't have the AHCI drivers installed. What type of motherboard do you have?

    ReplyDelete