Wednesday 14 November 2012

New film 'Still Walking' using blender masks



I have just completed a little film for the Butlers which will be on show as part of their appearance at the Flint Microfest, Wiltshire, England.

Flint Microfest will take place at Salisbury Art Centre on the 17th of November and Pounds Arts Corsham on the 18th of November and the Butlers will be walking from one to the other armed with Victorian maps and traditional measuring equipment to record their progress as they go.

Their 'walks' are inspired by Richard Long's artwork 'A Line Made by Walking' (1967) where he got of a train, walked up and down a field for an hour until he had made a path, took a photo of it and went home.

I made the looping walk cycles in Blender using the lovely new Masks feature in 2.64a. I was going to use AfterEffects, but after five minutes of hating AfterEffects I returned to blender as 2.64a was released and the new Masks saved my life. I did need to upgrade my computer as the interface needs plenty of horsepower and it is still buggy so save every time you make a change.

I ran out of time to completely smooth everything out but I'm pretty pleased with the results. It was all shot on a 550D at Frogs Copse in Southampton, sadly under threat of development.  The soundtrack is made from all the sounds we found there.

Still Walking - Following in the footsteps of Richard Long from Larryboy Eutopia on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment