Tuesday 30 April 2019

USB-C multi adapter problems with the ASUS UX390

I have gorgeous ASUS UX390 laptop which has only one USB-C port and I have had numerous problems getting third party USB-C adapters to work. And now I have hit upon a solution - although it is not a great solution if you want to change adapters a lot.



This one arrived yesterday, a 7 in 1 adapter with 2 USB 2 ports, 1 USBC port, two card slots, an HDMI port and a USB-C charging port.. It looks nice. The box it came in actually has a model number HYD-9822T.

I plugged it in and discovered that every thing worked but the USB ports. The USB2 ports did nothing. The USB-C port made the red LED on a mouse glow but other wise did nothing and no new USB stuff appeared in device manager. The HDMI, card slots and charging port did work.

I mucked about for a long time with drivers and then decided to look if the laptop BIOS needed updating. I rebooted into the BIOS and BEHOLD! the USB ports (even a flash drive i'd left in) were there. I saved and exited and rebooted and everything worked. And continued to do so. 

So there you go..

No comments:

Post a Comment