Saturday 16 June 2012

Getting OpenCV to work on Ubuntu 10.10

I wanted my face tracker working on my Ubuntu box. It uses Ubuntu 10.10 as anything later seems to crash ( and I hate the dock thing on any operating system ). I had the 64bit version installed and I had read that this can cause problems with some python libraries that are not written for 64bit.
The main thing was the cv2.so (which is the linux equivalent of the cv2.pyd used in windows) was not being compiled and so the openCV stuff I had written in Blender for windows would not work.

So I reinstalled 10.10 32bit version and followed the tutorial here for installing openCV. http://opencv.willowgarage.com/wiki/InstallGuide%20:%20Debian . After a long time it had installed and the cv2 file was created. I had read that there were some problems with video texture on 2.49b but having downloaded the 32bit version for python 2.6 it seems to work OK.

Onwards and upwards
L

1 comment: